RE: Roof Sheathing at Ridges

Typically ignored.  Kind of a discontinuity isn't it.
-----Original Message-----
From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 7:37 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Roof Sheathing at Ridges

I walked down the street yesterday evening to look at a house that is under construction.  The house is a 1-story with wood trusses.  It appears that a ridge vent will be used at the ridge line and I saw no indication of blocking near the ridge - in other words, the roof sheathing on each side of the ridge has a free edge (albiet only 2' long) between the trusses along the ridge line.  Is that typical?  I'm not a timber or house guy, but it seems to me that something more would be required there, especially in a high wind area.

M. David Finley, P.E.
3810 South First Street - Suite 7
Lake City, FL  32025
386-752-6400