Re: Roof Sheathing at Ridges

I have never seen anyone block the ridge on each side where the gap has been left for the ridgevent.  I see about 100 houses a year and have yet to see one with any visible problems from this practice.

The most common problem I do see is when the decking coursing near the ridge leaves you with a width of less than 1' or so.  I have seen the last course of plywood as narrow as 3".  These all tend to crack in half when stepped on and bow down rather than take a nail.  At least when there is a ridge board, the plywood is supported by the ridge board and is less likely to crack.   Of the ones with what we call a "narrow strip of decking at the ridge", they typically are cracked in half and the ridgevent nails are only in the shingles and did not penetrate the decking.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL