From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 4:47 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; Frieberg, Lee
Subject: Steel bridge girder callout

Lee,

The bridge must be much older than 1950's.

The 28BI91 is a 28" wide flange section rolled by Bethlehem in 1927-31

Area = 26.86 in^2
Isubx = 3441.1 in^4
Ssubx = 246.9 in^3
rsubx = 11.32 in

Isuby = 106.7 in^4
Ssuby = 21.4 in^3
rsuby = 1.99 in

Flange width = 9.98"
Flange thick = 0.539" (at edge)
Flange thick = 0.936" (at fillet)
Inside slope = 8.33 deg

Web thick = .45"

Section depth = 27.88"

The above information was obtained from AISC's "Iron and Steel Beams, 1873
1952," a "must have" for anyone doing work with old structures.  The section
is not listed in the 1956 AISC Manual.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

LEE FRIEBERG wrote:

. > Is anyone familiar with the structural steel callout:  28" B.I. 91lb ?
. > I'm doing some rehab work on a 50's era bridge.  The girders are rolled
. > shapes, but I can't find a referance for the girder properties.  Any
. > backround on the callout and a place to start looking for the properties
. > would be appreciated.

. > Thanks

. > LEE FRIEBERG, P.E.