Re: Swedge Anchors

Andrew, et al-

A "swedged" anchor has arcs cut out of it along its length, in order to improve
embedment (presumably).  The detail is most common in highway design.  After
reviewing the literature available to me, I have decided to use a plate washer
on the embedded ends of 2 rows (12)-3/4" dia. rods at 6" pitch and gauge.

The project is an aerial crossing 48" dia. x 150 psi (225 psi design pressure)
pipeline with 45 degree elbows at each end.  The previous project failed under
test pressure, but has been in service for about 20 years since a repair to
fasten the pile cap to the precast concrete piles (after it broke off).

2pA sin (45/2) = 312 kips thrust.

After gravity loading, loads resolve to 296 kips at 24 degrees from vertical.
The foundation is enormous, compared to my usual work, at least.  I will resist
the load with 200 kips of cap weight (BIG CAP) in combination with the lateral
and uplift pile capacity of (10) 16" sq. piles, half of which will be battered
to 22.5 degrees (in line with the thrust).

Of course, if I'm missing something, please feel free to tell me.

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock, AR