RE: Tuckpointing

I've been involved with historic masonry structures in many areas of the US.
You need to develop a match mortar based on the mortar that you have.
Changing the look will be bad, changing the structural properties could be
disastrous.

The oldest document that I have is "A Treatise on Masonry Construction", by
Ira Barker, 1904 which gives a good discussion of the masonry practices of
the time.

Your questions are not easily answered.  If you are going to get into
masonry restoration, you need to do some homework, and your questions will
be answered.

The basic document that you need to get is "Preservation Briefs: 2
Repointing Mortar Joints in Historic Brick Buildings", by the National Park
Service. http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/briefs/brief02.htm

Other resources:
http://www.usheritage.com/
http://www.oldhouseweb.net/stories/Detailed/226.shtml