Dissimilar Metals

To All -
  I have a situation where, via a bolted connection, an aluminum vertical
plate is attached to a steel shear tab located along the web of of steel
channel. I specified a 1/2" thick closed cell neoprene pad (plus S.S. bolts)
between the aluminum plate and the shear tab. Is there a rule of thumb or
guidance regarding the minimum separation distance between dissimilar
materials? I know in similar cases, the aluminum plate could be coated with
an asphaltic paint where it abuts the shear tab so perhaps no minimum
separation is required. I'm concerned that should the pad be too thin
galvanic action could arc between the two metals.

TIA,
Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD