Re: How to consider cracking in concrete using FEM?

Ozturk,

The effect of cracking on concrete properties is generally handled by adjusting the Moment of Inertia.  I doubt that any of the standard analysis programs have this feature built in however it is easy to calculated by hand and then you can input the adjusted properties into your program.  Most concrete text books have a section on "cracked moment of inertia" or you could use the default values provided in ACI 318 section 10.11.1.  Remember that like all issues involving cracks or cracking in concrete the results have a wide scatter and should not be used to try and get "exact" results.  If this issue is very critical to your design I would suggest enveloping your values of Ic plus or minus a value like 25%.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Ozturk OZGUR" <ozgur(--nospam--at)kohken.co.jp>

08/09/2002 01:35 AM
Please respond to seaint