Re: MathCAD

Gautam,

I will weigh in on this also.  For small companies or the "one man (or women) shop" the Excel spreadsheets are OK since if you developed it you know the limitations.  In a larger office where these may be shared the checking is near impossible.  Not that it can't be done but trying to figure out Cell B5 times Cell G134 which is the square root from a lookup table, well you get the idea.  I have banned Excel spreadsheets on my projects for final calculations.  I have had three near disasters from engineers not knowing what was actually being done internally with the formulas and more importantly most engineers tend to "hard wire" certain values which in a more robust program should have been variables.  In Mathcad, you see all the formulas and all the input variables which makes it much easier to follow and check.  Yes, it may cause a few extra sheets of paper but it is well worth the cost considering the potential bad alternatives.

That said, I will say that the first week you use Mathcad you will hate it (because of the rather steep learning curve), the second week you start to tolerate it, and by the third week you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"G Manandhar" <grm(--nospam--at)engineer.com>

08/08/2002 02:06 PM
Please respond to seaint