Partitions on expansive soils ....

Title: Email de Astrum Ingeniería.

  Hi all,

Some years ago a school was built on expansive soil. Although the structural engineer took into account the expansive nature of the soil, the architect did not and brick partitions between classrooms have cracked year after year. Walls are 30' long by 11' in height.

To partially solve the problem we are thinking on a ligth and movable partition simple supported at the bottom and laterally restricted at the top which allows vertical movement of the soil without damage. Movement could be adjusted with screwed supports or any other device. The total span could be replaced by several shorter modules. We can not hang the partition from the roof because of structural reasons.

Any idea or previous experience...???

Thank very much in advance ....

Marcos J Salom