Transfering Software licenses

Ref: Juan J. Treff's post offering to sell his
friend's copy of X steel version 5.4

To the best of my knowledge, transer of a software
licence is not recognized by Software development
companies.

I wonder if Tekla will recognize the buyer of of a
second hand X steel license  as a legal user.

I have tried to purchase licenses of Autocad Rel 14
for the organisation I work for.
But Autodesk does not sell them any more.
They sell only the latest which we don't need and are
not willing to pay for.

Pirated copies are of course freely available.
But they are of no use to me as I work for  a Public
Limited company, subject to internal and external
auditing, and to ethical business practices.

Even if you locate the people who have legal licenses
of outdated software, and are willing to sell them,
the buyer is still considered an unauthorised user.

So the transferred copy is not legal.

So why would any one bother to "buy" it?

There is something definitely unreasonable about this
business of software licences.

When we can legally buy an old house or a  used car,
why not old outdated software if it meets the users
needs? More people will buy legal licenses of new and
latest software if such packages have resale value.

True, the developers may wash off their hands from
obligations of support, updates etc and the buyer will
cheerfully put up with this. But why should such a
transaction be considered illegal?

No wonder piracy flourishes.

Am I missing something here?

Best of luck to Juan J Treff's friend in his attempts
to sell his old software. The latest version is Xsteel
8.0 and I wonder if any one will purchase version 5.4
if after spending the money the copy is still illegal.

It makes better economic sense to get a pirated copy
provided one is able to ask his conscience to shut up
and is willing to take the risks and be careful not
publicise the fact that he possesses a copy.

If Juan's friend is unable to "Sell" and is willing to
gift it away, I am willing to take his old copy of
Steel version 5.4 and use it for educating myself and
practice using this package. It will still be
considered his property and I will return it to him
whenever he asks for it.

I will ask for a letter from him stating that he has
gifted or lent it to me, to keep myself in the clear
legally. (Lawyers may poke a hole in this arrangement
too. I don't know)  I also will not commercially
exploit this gift and will use it personally at home
to prepare for the day when the organisation purchases
the latest version for commercial use.
But of course, Juan's friend will only have to trust
me on this.

A better idea is for Juan's friend to gift it to some
one he knows well instead of a total stranger like me
or  to a technical educational institution, preferably
owned or run by the Government.

I am not a detailer myself but I manage a detailing
set up in India and I cannot afford the exorbitant
cost of this package in India. For the cost of a
single license of X steel, we can buy a two bedroom
aparment in the city of Bangalore where I live.

Regards
G Vishwanath
Bangalore, India
gvshwnth(--nospam--at)yahoo.com