Re: Inland Steel Joists

Bryan,

        There was a company called Behlen Manufacturing Company from Columbus, Nebraska selling a similar product into Canada some years ago.  The catalogue I have is quite ancient so the Nebraska address may or may not be valid.  They still have a telephone listing in the current Calgary directory but the listed number is not in service.

        I hope this may give you a lead for additional information on the system.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

Bryan Zagers wrote:

 To All,I am working on the renovation of a high school in the Seattle area built in the mid 1960s.  The joists are called out "by Inland Steel Products".  These joists do not have a top chord but seem to be using the metal deck (which is parallel with the joists and heavy gage) as a top chord.  The braces are joined at the top with a gusset connection and a flat steel plate.  I can't see any visible means of attachment between the deck and the plate.  The original design documents refer to the specs and "Standard Inland Steel Componenet Details", but these cannot be located.  The joists are typically 5' oc and spans vary from 35' to 100'.Can anyone shed some light on this system?  Typical details used, etc?  Standard capacities?  Design methodology?Thank you.