Wood-Framed Shearwall Compression Chords

Hello all,

I've got a copy of Donald Breyer's 3rd edition (I know there's a later
edition) for wood design and he describes the free-body diagram used to
determine the tension and compression chords of a shearwall.  If we
ignore reductions in the dead loads that the wall carries, a straight
use of the typical free-body diagram would indicate that the weight of
the wall and the dead load that it supports add a component to the
compression chord that is additional to the couple from the overturning
moment.  The FBD assumes no support below the wall between the ends,
thus simplifying to a two-reaction system.  This compression force comes
quickly during the check on the holdown, but I've always wondered if
this approach is overly-conservative for wood-framed shearwalls.  I
figure that the amount of "rocking" and realistic bearing of the wall
under a seismic event is difficult to quantify, so it's better/easier to
follow the FBD, but it still seems conservative.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.