RE: Wood-Framed Shearwall Compression Chords

The panel sheathing is resisting the lateral forces and stuff behind the
wood panel carries gravity load, splices the panels together, splices the
panels to the stuff above and below, and splices the panels to the
overturning anchors.

I've had one guru tell me the way to look at it is the gravity load goes
into the stud and into the foundation and using more than one panel width
[4' tributary] to resist overturning is unconservative.

Say you have a 8'x40' long wall with 4 foot long panels at the ends and 30
feet contains wall openings. Question: For the perforated shear wall method
can you use half of 40' feet of tributary dead load to resist overturning at
the outside ends?  Answer: Not if I am reviewing your plans.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division
Development Services Department