Re: Transfering Software licenses

I am sure that software companies don't understand why structural
engineers would have a problem with somoene just using structural drawings
that they created for some other older project with out paying the
engineer for those drawings.  After all, anyone could just go down the
city hall and get the plans and specs that were submitted to the city for
the a permit for a house that an owner paid a architect/structural
engineer for and just use those same plans for their house without having
to pay the structural engineer/architect.

To be less sarcastic, the point is that YOU bought a license for a piece
of software that entitles you to use a specific version of that software.
If you upgrade to a newer version, the company is not typically going to
charge you full price for that new version...they charge you a smaller
price that basically modifies your license so the now you can use either
the older version or the newer version, but you are NOT buying another
license.

The point is that software companies, just like structural engineering
companies, are in the business of making money.  I don't think that it is
too unreasonable for a software company to want someone who does not own a
license to use their software to buy a license to use the software from
them rather than just get a free copy of an unused older version of the
software from someone who upgraded their license of the software.  In
otherwords, why would someone who is essentially in the business to make
some money just "give away" what they really want someone to buy?  I am
sure that after you have design a building and it has been built that you
don't walk up to someone as say "Here are some structural design documents
that I was paid to produce, but now that it has been built and is 'older'
I want to just give it to you so that you can build the same building."
You would rather want the individual to pay you to design the building for
him/her, even if you essentially produce the same thing.

So, if you really want to transfer or sell an older version of Photoshop,
then rather than paying the $100 to $200 for an upgrade to a new version,
go out an pay the full $600 to $700 for a brand new license.  Then you
will have two licenses for Photoshop (one for the current version and one
for an older version), which would mean that you could then go and
sell/transfer the license for the older version and still keep and use the
newer version since you bought a seperate license for it.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI