From: G Manandhar [mailto:grm(--nospam--at)engineer.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 5:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Perforated Shear Wall

To all:

Perforated wood shear walls:

The perforated shear wall design procedure outlined in SEAOC handbook
?Seismic Design ? Vol II Building Design Example? page 69-70? seems to work
fine if the lengths of the shear walls on either side of the opening are
equal.  However, if the wall length varies, then this method does not seem
to work.  Assuming the shear in the wall panels are proportional to the wall
lengths (simplified shear load distribution) there will be a discrepancy in
the load in the free body diagram ? especially at the free body diagram of
the wall section right below the opening. ? the vertical shear values will
not match.

IBC 200 and NEHRP do have an analysis method for perforated shear walls.
However, I feel kind of worried to use it (other than that California has
not adopted it) because it does not seem to consider the shear flow around
the openings.

Since it is more likely than not that the shear wall lengths on either sides
will be unequal, I would appreciate your input into how you solve this
problem.  Of course, there is the easy way out ? consider each panel
separately and out in larger holddown.

Gautam

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup