Re: Perforated Shear Wall

Roger

I would suggest that using the dead loads to counteract the tension
comes under engineering judgment.  The APA publication for example
indicates that the dead loads may be used for this purpose.  Whoever, if
vertical acceleration or wind uplift are critical to the design and it
seems appropriate then by all means include them in the design of the
wall anchorage.  Alternately, the codes have a percentage limit on the
resisting dead loads that may be used for wind or seismic overturning.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.