Re: fusion bonded epoxy coated reinforcement

Ken,

There are two ASTM Standards for epoxy coated rebar: 775 and 934.  Both are fusion bonded.  Bars coated with 775 epoxy can be bent after coating -- the outside of the bends should be inspected -- they may need to be touched up after fabrication because of holidays that may form at the outsides of bends.  The 934 epoxy is for pre-fabricated rebar [bent before coating] -- it has less flexibility than the 775 epoxy coating.  I've used both on one project, 934 for stirrups, 775 for bars that would need to yield during seismic response.  All were prefabricated but I figured that the 775 would have less likelihood of forming holidays as they yielded.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net