time before building on or backfilling concrete foundation walls

Are there any rules of thumb about time limits on when it is acceptable to
start building on a concrete foundation walls and footings?  It seems you
would not want to backfill a basement wall or retaining wall until the
design strength is reached but I cannot find a code reference and wondered
if there is any guidance published on the subject.

Thanks.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division