Re: shotcrete walls

Jeff,

I am assuming that when you say "code" that you are refering to the UBC
code.  I mention this because I am pretty sure that ACI 318 does not
really address the issue entire of shotcrete except in the most general
way (i.e. it is still basically reinforced concrete).

Now, I do know that the IBC code provide some provisions for shotcrete.
It basically states that test panels are only required "when required by
the code official".  Regarding lap splices, the 2000 IBC basically says
that lap splices shall use noncontact lap splices with a minimum clearance
of 2" between bars, unless contact splices are approved by the building
official for "necessary support of the reinforcing".

I am guessing that these provision would rather similar to the 97 UBC
provisions since they likely originated from the UBC side, although much
of the shotcrete section in the IBC looks to have come from the BOCA code
(i.e. very similar).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI