RE: codifying engineering judgement, not possible

Scott,

I took the PE exam when a portion of it was still essay.  I was told by more
than a few engineers, including one of my college professors to take the
Civil PE exam instead of Structural I because structural problems are
generally more complex and take more time to solve.  It wasn't that I
couldn't solve the structural problems, it is a simple fact that if
arbitrarily on average it takes 2 hours to solve a structural problem and 1
hour to solve a civil problem the odds are not in your favor to successfully
complete a timed exam in a stressful environment.

For my own edification I subsequently took and passed the Structural I exam,
am in the process of completing the Structural II exam and I also intend to
take the Western Zone (California) structural exam.  I also am one who
believes continuing education is necessary and I regularly attend seminars
for this purpose even though most of the states in which I am registered
don't require continuing education credits.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Senior Project Engineer
Cagley, Harman and Associates
Structural Engineers / Parking Consultants
1015 West Ninth Avenue
King of Prussia PA 19406-1222
ameyer(--nospam--at)cagleyharman.com
(610) 337-3360