RE: codifying engineering judgement, not possible

Oddly enough, I found the Structural I exam not particularly difficult, at
least not more than I'd expect an 8-hour licensing exam to be!  I'll grant
that I struggled with the seismic problem (which involved a support for a
water tank) and the bridge pier (at least, the portion referring
specifically to AASHTO criteria).  But the rest of the problems were fairly
straightforward, and I don't think I spent more than an hour on any one of
them.  I recall a biaxial bending problem, a deep concrete beam, and a
combined footing problem that I breezed through in the essay portion (I had
a good example to refer to for the latter), and the masonry and timber
weren't difficult (and in the multiple choice half, to boot...).

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, P.E.
Project Engineer
Meyer Consulting Engineers Corp.