Re: Stainless Steel

Gina,

As William Sherman pointed out, ASCE 8-90 is referenced by the 2000 IBC
code for the design of cold formed stainless steel.  You already seem to
at least be aware of the publication from your post.

I was going to just post that you should be able to get it from the ASCE
website, but decided to go there first and look for it.  Good thing that I
did.  I could not find it in their "bookstore" so I searched their CE
Database, which did have it.  From the results of that search, there was a
link to "buy it from the ASCE Bookstore".  When I used that link, I got a
page that said that book is no longer for sale.  It then suggested
that you contact your local library or the Linda Hall Library
(http://www.lindahall.org/) to obtain a copy.  Thus, it appears that it is
out of print and no longer available.

If this is so, then it will be interesting to see if the 2003 IBC still
references it.  I would think that somehow it would not be appropriate for
a building code adopted by some state/city/etc to reference a document
that people cannot readily get ahold of.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I would suggest listening to William's suggestion about calling ASCE
publications.  While it seems pretty obvious that you will be told that it
is no longer available, you might be able to get someone there to tell you
what your options are (i.e. copy right related issues to going an copying
it from someone) since they no longer are making it available.

BTW, I do have the publication, but am unwilling to just copy it for
someone else due to issue of the copyright.  If you have specific
questions, then I might be able to answer them (if it doesn't take me too
longer to figure them out...I have never really used the publication...I
got it for a project that looked like it might have stainless on it, but
then the owner realized the cost and the architect was forced to change
the plans [the project was actually for my own company's {at the time}
framing for a conference room...the designer {from my own company} had
bigger eyes than the committee overseeing the office refurbishment]).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI