Openings in "uncoursed" stone walls

I'm trying to put together a detail for openings to be cut in a load
bearing, uncoursed stone wall in the side of a church.  The stone wall is
mica-schist, typically referred in as Wissahickon Schist here in eastern PA)
the wall is approximately 24" thick. The exterior stone is composed of
fairly large pieces irregular shaped (say about 1 to 1.5 foot dia) behind it
is a courser rubble and mortar fill.  The openings would be no more that
3'-6" wide (door way).

I'm looking at possibly using precast lintels, stacking them for the whole
24" on a 8" shelf, then grouting them in place.

I have no precedent to look back on for this.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks

Keith Hyndman, P.E.
khyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com