RE: Delta sub m

Samir

The special loading conditions that you refer to, are only for stress check
of critical elements, which you do not want to fail during strong seismic
events. The drift check is only performed for basic loading conditions.

Ben Yousefi, SE
san Jose, CA

Hi
Just want to find out how some of you view the displacement value
associated with special seismic load condition outlined in  the seismic
provisions equation 4-1,
1.2D + 0.5 L +omega E for OMRF, two story, R=4.5.  do you consider the
resulting deflection equivalent to delta sub M. i.e.( inelastic)???
My first reaction was to view detla s associated with with equation 12-10,
).9D +E/1.4 or .9 D -E/1.4. as elastic delta s. with corrosponding deltaM =
0.7xRxDelta sub s.  In fact the maginfication factor seems to indicate
inelastic behavior. I am concerned about the vlaue of delta sub M as
compared to allowable drift values.
Your insight is appreciated.
Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates