From: YI [mailto:YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 12:50 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Building Permit in Monterey County

The stainless steel wine tank design is no where near the industry standard
on water tank or other liquid tanks.    If the anchors are designed with the
assumption that the tanks will not lose their structural integrity under the
designed seismic forces, then the anchors will be over designed.

Of course the content is where all the money is, I'm sure the winery owerns
are aware of that fact.  However if the local jurisdication does not require
a permit on the anchoring (i.e. for process equipment), then they have to
make a decision on what to do based on the recommendation of the engineer
and the tank fabricator.  It could be relatively costly to install hundreds
of stainless steel anchors.

Y i   Y a n g  P. E.
Summit Engineering Inc.
Santa Rosa, CA