RE: wine tanks

I have also seen that happened before.  There are different ideas from the
winery owners on how they want to secure the tanks, and deal with different
failure scenarios.  Some of these tanks are on a tank pad that's 2'-3' above
the slab-on-grade.  If the tanks moved toward edge of the pad, then worse
thing could happen than just some mis-aligned tanks.

If the tanks are fully restrained to the tank pad, then they will definitely
buckle, but the base will be intact.  As I mentioned before, the tanks are
not designed to APA/AWWD or other industry standard codes like a water tank
or oil tanks.  It's a cost issue.  The cheaper tanks is justifiable by the
possibility of losing a tank full of wine in every 10 years or so.  If they
have to build a tank farm of 20-30 tanks all like a bullet proof water tank
and such, then it would cost way too much.  There was a time when tank
anchoring does not need a building permit, so we the engineer would tell the
client what choices he/she had.  Some of then choose to secure the tanks by
the building code (thus the tank will buckle), other choose to have minimum
anchors so the tanks will walk.  However it becomes issue when a building
permit is required by the local jurisdiction, then we have to educate the
building officials on why the tanks should or shouldn't be anchored
properly.  It's hard to get a straight answer sometimes when a less
knowledgeable building official is encountered.

Y i   Y a n g  P. E.
Summit Engineering Inc.
Santa Rosa, CA