Re: wine tanks

>> He said some "seismic experts" came out to investigate and said the tanks
>> were OK to use and that the damage probably occurred because they were
bolted
>>  down. The experts recommended that ALL OF THE BOLTS BE CUT OFF.
>>  A couple years later ('89) loma prieta hit, centered less than 25 miles
away.
>>  Most of the tanks moved (slid) on the concrete pad a few inches but NO
further
>>  damage occurred to any of them.

Good to hear. This is the rationale behind free-standing spent fuel
storage racks. Limit the base shears to the force that can be sustained
by friction rather than guess the maximum inertia load and allow for
whatever displacement you might need. Interesting to hear that the motion
was only a couple of inches--the assessments I've made were usually
higher than that, which is comforting.

I don't think you can do this with any old structure, and you really have
to be careful about tipping, but it's a good idea to keep in mind.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw