wine tanks

Like the other engineer from FL, we have a little bit of wine here, but not
seismic, so that is not a question for us to answer. But I am wondering a
couple of things:

-How is this done in critical water, chemical, and other facilitites in
seismic regions? With base isolation via springs, dampers, etc?
-Would a rather inexpensive solution be using some type of bearing pad
between the concrete and steel plate (assuming they have one), that allows
sliding, and then use slotted bolt holes with hand tightened and tack welded
nuts that allow the tanks to slide "some" horizontally, but preventing a
catastrophic overturning via uplift? Of course vertical restraint would put
a compressive stress in the opposite face of the tank, perhaps causing a
buckling failure of the tank itself. But would this likely be less
catastrophic then an overturning failure?
-I think one questions someone should ask is why the manufacturers have not
stepped up and done something about the deficiency of their designs for
seismic loads. Instead of SEs designing around a faulty product, someone
should alert the product manufacturers if they do not already know.
-Regardless of the mechanism of failure, if I designed the foundation and
anchoring, I would do as many have suggested, and design it to prevent
global failure and failure of the bolts and foundation, and let the manuf.
worry about system failure. That is all you can do. I believe if you do NOT
do that, telling the court the owner told you (the expert) not to worry
about it or that it was too expensive, or that the bldg dept did not require
a permit, would land you a nice insurance payout. (It sounds like the eng in
this case already had decided to do the right thing, but wanted to know
about permits.)

If we justified using less then the latest code practices because we are not
the weakest links of the design, I can think of many examples where I could
justify compromising my design (based on other elements of the design). If
you design a pre fab metal bldg foundation for 140mph winds, and you know
the purlins or the garage doors or cladding would fail before the whole
building would pull the anchor bolts out of your monster spread footings,
would you just say, "What the hell, let's just use these 3/8" diam AB and
3x3 spread ftgs"...... We can't do that, even though I have had contractors
on a design-build ask me to, based on that very assumption. I was sure that
my foundations and anchor bolts would not fail in this instance (as sure as
we can be).