RE: Point Loads on Strip Footings

I agree with James Lutz that the biggest worry in this problem, especially
if the building is 50 years old, would be the masonry itself. I don't know
where this building is, but my short experience in the SE US is that if it
is 50 years old I will bet $$ that it is not reinforced. Is their a tie beam
or masonry bond beam that may help to distribute the load?

Either way, I think you may be able to assume that the point load will be
distributed to the foundation at a 60 deg angle with the footing. With a 9ft
wall, this means 10.4ft if my trig is right. I have read that method of
analysis in many texts including "Reinforced Masonry Design" 3rd Ed, by
Schneider and Dickey.

If that still is unacceptable, I agree with the other engineer suggesting a
geotech. Have a couple of in-situ probes done, a lot of times you get a lot
more bearing capacity in older footings because they have been surcharged
for 50 years, and any settlement is long over with.

Finally, we often design dowels into existing footings using epoxy, on the
exterior or interior, whatever is easier. It is a bit stickier if it is a
small, old footing, which may not even be reinforced.

Good luck!

Andrew Kester,EI
Longwood, FL