Earthquake Simplified Analysis

Title: Earthquake Simplified Analysis

I have a question regarding when the Simplified analysis per ASCE7-98 section 9.5.2.5 can be used.  ASCE7-98 says simplified analysis shall be permitted for buildings in Seismic Use Group I and gives the exceptions to this.  It sounds to me that they are saying that buildings of light framed construction exceeding three stories are able to use this method, which is exactly opposite of what they are trying to say.  If you look as IBC2000, it says something similar, but I think it is saying that if there are three or less stories, you are able to use the simplified analysis.

My thought is that ASCE 7-98 is trying to say that light framed buildings under 4 stories are able to use the simplified procedure, but have actually said the opposite.  Is this right?

Zachary Goswick, P.E.
Structural Engineer
Angus-Young Associates, Inc.
555 South River Street
Janesville, WI  53545-4827
Phone: (608)756-2326
Fax: (608)756-0464
Email: zachg(--nospam--at)angusyoung.com