Seawall repair

 As part of one of our renovations my company has been asked to repair a
residential seawall. The wall is composed of 8x8x16 concrete block laid on a
concrete footing. The structure is about twenty years old and while
structurally sound, the lower three or four courses of block have some
erosion from the water and sand in the water washing against the wall. The
minor structural repairs to the block can largely be done by filling any
damaged block with concrete and pointing up the joints.

 Depending on the cost, the client want to either just repair the erosion
and either paint the wall with a paint that will adhere well to the block or
possibly parge the block with a suitable material that can then be painted
or use a material that has a color mixed with it.

 Are there any materials or techniques that you have used in the past that
would be suitable in this situation. I have thought of possibly applying
shotcrete to the wall. The issues that concern me the most are adhesion of
the paint or other finishing material to the existing seawall and the
durability of the material. The materials ability to resist wave action and
some freezing (This job is in Charlotte, NC).

 Any suggestions would be appreciated.

 Pete