RE: earthquake effects on concrete storage tanks

ACI 350.3-01 is a pretty recent guide for the seismic design of concrete tanks. You can buy a copy from ACI via the following link. For steel tanks, check publications at the web sites of the American Waterworks Association or the American Petroleum Institute. These are the most common U.S. standards. I'm sure other countries have some guides as well, but I'm not familiar with them. If you want to read a collection of papers on the seismic design of tanks, ASCE publishes some collected papers by George Housner, who developed much of the methodology about fifty years ago which is still being used for seismic design of tanks. There have been many refinements and papers published since them, but you need to run them down in places like ASCE journals or the Bulletin of the American Seismological Society. I don't know if you have access to these publications at a nearby university.

http://www.aci-int.org/
-----Original Message-----
From: B|lent Deveci [mailto:bulentdeveci(--nospam--at)turk.net]
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 1:43 PM
To: bulentdeveci(--nospam--at)turk.net
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: earthquake effects on concrete storage tanks

(note: As my first question was send with a wrong subject, I'm asking again)

list,
Can anyone advice me a reference or a code about the earthquake effects in a water storage tank. (either rectangular or cylindrical)
I need the vertical distribution and the intensity of the force to be arise along the wall due to a quake action.

Thanks,
Bülent Deveci

Internet'e Turk Nokta Net'in ISDN hizmeti ile bağlanın, hızınızı ikiye katlayın!
http://abonelik.turk.net/isdn_kamp.asp