RE: Glass Cracking

Roger:

With most dual glazed window systems it is advised that the windows should not be tinted.  If the windows are tinted, a higher temperature between the panes causes expansion thus cracks.  This is a common problem.  Jay Allen/Ralph Richard

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
	Sent: Thu 8/22/2002 1:52 PM
	To: SEAOC Listservice
	Subject: Glass Cracking

	Here's something that I hope one or more of you can give me an idea of what
	is happening.

	Two windows in a 2-story frame residence, one on the second floor, the other
	on the first floor.

	Window on the second floor is on the east side of the house.

	Window on the first floor is facing west, and under a porch overhang.

	Windows are double glazed, insulating glass.

	Interior pane on the window on the second floor has a parabolic crack similar
	to the shape of the SEA logo.  Crack started at the left jamb, proceeded up
	to the right, curved around and came back to the sill near the right jamb.
	Homeowner watched the crack develop and in 3-hours (8:00am to 11:00am) it
	progressed about 8-inches around the perigee.  (The homeowner marked the
	times on the glass.)  The exterior pane is undamaged.

	The owners report that the same type of parabolic crack occurred in the first
	floor window, with the interior pane cracking, not the exterior pane.  (The
	first floor window has been repaired.)

	The house is about 2-3 years old and there is no visible sign of distress in
	the house.

	Any thoughts, anyone???

	A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
	Tucson, Arizona