Re: Floor finish requirements

James:

ACI 318 will not include anything on floor flatness requirements (at least
from what I recall).  The floor flatness is typically not a "code" issue
(i.e. minimum safety) but rather a "performance" issue that will vary
depending on the project.  This means that it will not be specified by a
code but would rather be specified in the contract documents (i.e.
specifications).

As mentioned by others, ACI 117 (and ACI 301) would be what to consider.
You need to keep in mind, however, that ACI 117 DOES NOT actually provide
the requirements to be used but rather the various requirements that can
be chosen from and then used.  In otherwords, just referencing ACI 117
won't really do anything...you still need to tell the contractor what type
of floor flatness you want (i.e. do you want just flat or super flat?,
etc).  The point is that ACI 117 outlines what the tolerance would be for
a flat floor, a superflat floor, or a normal floor, but not specify which
to use...you must still say which is to be used on the project.

Also, be careful of how you use the Ff and Fl numbers is you go that
route.  Both numbers do not apply for either a slab-on-grade or supported
floor (I can't recall which at the moment...I don't have my 117 with me
right now).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI