From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 1:38 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: shotcrete walls

Eric,

Just a slight word of caution...be very careful when referencing an ACI
document with a "R" in the number.  All ACI documents with "R"s in the
number are NOT mandatory documents, when means they are not written in a
manner to that allows them just to be referenced in contract
specifications.  The "R" means that they are written as recommendations
not requirements.  Thus, if you just reference the "R" document, the
contractor in the strictest sense could ignore the "recommendation".

Thus, if there is something in one of the 506R documents that you want to
use, make sure actually write it into the specification as a requirement.
For example, if one of the 506R documents recommends having test panels
and you agree with that recommendation, then write into your
specifications that there MUST be test panels (and include all the
specific requirements that you want to require).

I am sure that you might already be aware of this, but it is good for
others to hear it since it was something that I frequently had to explain
to people who submitted technical inquires to ACI when I was a staff
engineer there.

Regardless, the committee 506 documents are good references to review when
it comes to shotcrete issues.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI