Re: Sewer Aerial Crossing

Anchoring for buoyancy may be a greater concern than all the others that you
mentioned.  A sewer line is mostly empty most of the time (except during
half-time at the Super Bowl).

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Todd Speck wrote:

. >   I'm designing a sewer aerial crossing bridge.  The bridge will only
. > support the sewer itself, no vehicular traffic.  It's a 16" ductile iron
. > pipe continuously supported by a cast in place cradle/saddle spanning
. > between single column bents/abutments. The pipe/bridge at 100 yr
. > occurrence will be completely submerged. The overall span length is only
. > 60'.  I don't believe expansion/contraction will be an issue.

. >   1.  I'd appreciate any words of wisdom with respect to general design
. > issues.  I also have a few specific questions.

. >   2.  I'll be specifying stainless steel brackets and bolts to connect
. > pipe to the cradle.  What type of stainless steel should I specify?

. >   3.  The soil has a potential vertical rise of 2.5".  The abutment
. > foundation will be drilled shafts socketed into hard limestone and will
. > not move. What is done to assure the pipe can handle the differential
. > movement at the abutment?