Re: Sewer Aerial Crossing

Todd,

        This sounds like it might be a stream crossing.  If so and if it is submerged there might be very high lateral loads including strikes from floating derbies.  There are probably river crossing specifications intended for the pipeline industry but useful to you.  I don't work in the pipeline industry so I cant be more specific.

        Hope this helps or at least gives you something to think about.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

"Speck, Todd M" wrote:

 I'm designing a sewer aerial crossing bridge.  The bridge will only support the sewer itself, no vehicular traffic.  It's a 16" ductile iron pipe continuously supported by a cast in place cradle/saddle spanning between single column bents/abutments.  The pipe/bridge at 100 yr occurrence will be completely submerged.  The overall span length is only 60'.  I don't believe expansion/contraction will be an issue.1.  I'd appreciate any words of wisdom with respect to general design issues.  I also have a few specific questions.2.  I'll be specifying stainless steel brackets and bolts to connect pipe to the cradle.  What type of stainless steel should I specify?3.  The soil has a potential vertical rise of 2.5".  The abutment foundation will be drilled shafts socketed into hard limestone and will not move.  What is done to assure the pipe can handle the differential movement at the abutment?4.  Sitting in a cradle with a semi-circle cut out to hold the pipe I can envision water being held in contact with the pipe indefinitely.  Is corrosion of the pipe a concern.Thank you in advance for your comments.Todd M. Speck, P.E.