From: Richard M. Beldyk, PE, NSPE, CWEng, CPE [mailto:rich(--nospam--at)usbridge.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 11:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: fracture critical welds

Do you, and if you do, how do you denote fracture critical welds on your drawings?

Went through an AISC audit the past few days and we were dinged on this.  AWS D1.1, AWS D1.5, AREMA and AASHTO codes do not require this on drawings.

Yet, AISC Fabricator Certification auditors require this.  I am not complaining, the welders in the shop need to know, it just would have been nice to know ahead of time. (The members are marked on the drawing Fracture Critical as required by code.)

Richard M. Beldyk, PE, NSPE, CWEng, CPE

Professional Engineer - Delaware 6788, Maine 9987, Maryland 26594, Michigan 6201048734, Ohio E-66691, Oklahoma 20523, Pennsylvania PE061240, Virginia 37138
Registered Member - International Registry of Professional Engineers - Certificate IR101
AWS Certified Welding Engineer - Certificate  0009Eng
AFE Certified Plant Engineer - Certificate 4582