Effective Projected Area (EPA)

Can anyone point me to a reference for the calculation
of the "effective projected area" for a sign
or pole mounted outdoor light fixture? Apparently
there are codes (AASHTO?) that give aerodynamics-based
area reduction/multiplication factors that can
translate the projected area into an effective
projected area. Normally the lighting manufacturer
determines this property of the fixture.