Inspection of privately owned bridges?

Keith,

Private bridges probably do not fall under any agency's control.  The loads
may be considerably higher than any highway or railway bridge.  (Local open
pit mines use haul equipment that even when empty have to be transported on
special trailers.)  Bridges over navigable waterways would be regulated as
far as clearances is concerned, but not as far as capacity.

I would find out from the client what equipment and loads are used on the
property and analyze the bridges for that condition.  For bridges having a
capacity less than the Standard HS20 truck, I would use the AASHTO bridge
inspection and posting guidelines.

As far as legal requirements go, I would suggest that the client seek legal
advice.  (Go to an engineer for engineering advice; a lawyer for legal
advice.)

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Keith Hyndman wrote:

. > A client of mine, steel plant in eastern Pennsylvania, has asked me to do
. > some research on the legal requirements for inspections of privately owned
. > bridges, which span over waterways on the steel plant's property.  I'm not
. > sure whether this under OSHA, Dept of  Transportation, or some local or
. > state regulation. Can anybody point me in the right direction?