Re: Sewer Aerial Crossing

Try the Nickel Development Institute (NiDI) and the Specialty Steel Industry of
North America.  Both provided me with contacts for manufacturers of structural
shapes and SSINA is in the process of developing a formal publication of such.
Unfortunately, these are not yet electronic.

Related to the pipe crossings, I have been referring to the steel rings around
the pipe at the support as "ring girders", but am slightly concerned my
nomenclature is a little off, and that "ring girder" should actually refer to a
support ring around a large tank that transfers load to several posts.  Does
the same term apply to both structures?  If not, which goes with which?

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock, Arkansas

--- Syed A Masroor <sam2000(--nospam--at)cyber.net.pk> wrote:

<HR>
>I recently designed a natural gas pipeline crossing over a canal. The pipe was
large enough that it was supported every 35'by pipe bents.  I think the
free-board
issue is quite critical and shouldn't be ignored unless your beam can take a
big strike (from floating debris) in a flood. Else you can consider having your
pipe completely submerged at all time and designed for uplift.
stainless
steel elements,