From: flier55(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:flier55(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 7:41 AM
To: steel-detail(--nospam--at)yahoogroups.com
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel-Detail: LRFD Limit States

I am trying to review LRFD design limit states (I took the steel design course in 1976 and have forgotten everything).  Could someone please give me the applicable formulae for the various limit states listed below?  It would be preferable for the actual equations, but if specific chapters and verses could be provided, that would be of tremendous help.  I have at my disposal volumes 1 & 2 of the ASD and volumes 1 & 2 of the LRFD and nothing else.  I just want to make sure I get to the right starting point and assign the correct corresponding equation to each state.  It's obvious that I should re take the course or buy better reference books, but that's not feasible.  Thanks all.

Ref:  "Connections: Art, Science, and Information in the Quest for Economy and Safety", William A. Thornton, PhD, PE

BOLT SHEAR FRACTURE  -- see page 7-5
BOLT SHEAR/TENSION FRACTURE  -- see page 7-5
WHITMORE YIELD  -- see page 9-3
WHITMORE BUCKLING  -- see page 9-6 (buckling) and 9-3 (Whitmore)
TEAROUT FRACTURE  -- see page 9-5 (block shear rupture)
BEARING  -- see page 9-9
GROSS SECTION YIELD  -- see page 9-3
NET SECTION FRACTURE  -- see page 9-5
FILLET WELD FRACTURE  -- see page 8-7
BEAM WEB YIELD (BEYOND K DISTANCE) -- see page 5-9
BENDING (INCLUDING PRYING ACTION) YIELD  -- see page 9-10
BENDING (INCLUDING PRYING ACTION) FRACTURE  -- see page 9-10

Rob Hale