Flat roofs in coastal areas

Warren,

The June, 2002, issue of the ASCE "Journal of Architectural Engineering" is a
Special Issue devoted to, "Enhancing the Performance of Building Systems in
High Wind Regions."  One paper in the Journal is, "Wind Pressures on Parapets
of Flat Roofs," and compares the research with ASCE 7(2002) provisions.
Another is, "Design Guidelines for Community Shelters for Extreme Wind
Events."

I also believe that I saw a paper in the ASCE Structural Journal some years
back on the affect of parapets on roof wind loads.

>From personal observation, even the slightest discontinuity in or on a flat
roof, even a small electric conduit, has a major effect on what wind can do
to a roof.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Warren Foy wrote:

. > I have a project on the South Carolina coast that will have a flat roof.
. > The design wind speed is 130 mph resulting in a wind load of 44 psf
. > uplift. The roof has a standing seam roof with cold-formed metal framing
. > cornice around the perimeter of the building so the flat portion of the
. > roof is somewhat sheltered. Below is my first attempt at test graphics to
. > describe the roof.

. >         /|                                   |\
. >        / | Cornice                           | \   Cornice
. >       /  | framing                           |  \  framing
. >      /   |                                   |   \
. >     /    |                                   |    \
. >    /     |              flat roof            |     \
. >    -------------------------------------------------
. >   ||                                               ||
. >   ||                                               ||
. >
. > I have two questions (so far) regarding this roof.
. > 1.  Could the actual uplift pressure on the roof be higher than the
. > standard flat roof wind load due to the cornice roof?

. > 2.  The roofing is to be a gravel ballasted built-up roof.  Does the
. > weight of the ballast need to offset the wind uplift?  If not, what is
. > the mechanism that holds the roofing down?

. > Thanks in advance,

. > Warren S. Foy, P.E.