Sulfates

1. Are there any references, such as maps, which show where sulfates in
soils or groundwater are of concern or more specifically where they are not
of concern? Is there any way to readily determine if sulfate testing of
soils is needed in a given area? According to one of my soil's textbooks
"Sulfate attack of concrete occurs throughout the world, especially in arid
areas, such as the southwestern United States....Typically the geotechnical
engineer obtains the representative soil or groundwater samples to be tested
for sulfate content". But often soil's reports to not report sulfate test
data and some geotechnical engineers don't seem very familiar with doing
routine testing for sulfates. So when do you require that sulfate testing be
done and when do you neglect it?

2. I generally specify Type II cement for concrete in contact with soils,
but recently some Contractors and cement suppliers are requesting the use of
Type I cement and say that they "aren't aware of any sulfate problems in the
area" but don't provide any specific documentation of that. Can "moderate
sulfate resistance" be obtained by controlling cement content and w/c ratio
while using Type I cement? Type F fly ash used with Type I cement is known
to improve sulfate resistance - but is there a way to know if a specific mix
with Type I cement and fly ash has adequate sulfate resistance without doing
a 6-month to 1-year sulfate test per ASTM C 1012?

3. What test method should be used to test for sulfates in soil and/or
groundwater? The standard test methods I've found don't seem to clearly
cover the sulfate ranges that are of concern for attack on concrete.

All in all, requirements for sulfate testing seem to be rather vague in
standard documents.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311