Repairing concrete metal deck.

Opinions Wanted:, (some experience required/desired)

I have a project where plumbing was installed incorrectly in a concrete metal deck on steel joists. Because the concrete is the finish for the floor it is necessary to remove and re-pour an approximately 8’x8’ section. The questions are is it possible to just cut the upper thickness of concrete, remove it, and re-pour (with appropriate doweling etc.) or should the entire pan be removed and replaced??

I suspect the concrete removal option may be difficult. Has anyone had experience with this?

Barry H. Welliver