RE: Sewer Aerial Crossing

Steel penstocks for hydroelectric plants sometimes use ring girders on the
pipe. ASCE Engineering Practice No. 79, Steel Penstocks, states "ring girder
supports are used for large pipe diameters where the reaction load at the
support is too large to be reasonably accommodated by a plain pipe shell."

"Welded Steel Pipe", AISI Steel Plate Engineering Data, also addresses ring
girders at steel pipe. "These girders prevent the distortion of the pipe at
the points of support, and thus maintain its ability to act as a beam.
Practical considerations generally limit spans from 40 ft to 100 ft". Saddle
supports are generally limited to 40 ft spans.