RE: Repairing concrete metal deck.

Barry,

Hydroblasting or hydro-removal involves the use of high pressure water jets (20,000 psi to 45,000 psi) that effectively cuts up the concrete.  The good part is that it leaves the rebar intact the bad part is that it is a very messy operation.  There are several different types of hydroblasting machines ranging from small almost hand held type to completely robotic systems with remote controls.  If you are interested in this system the best thing to do is to contact some contractors in your area that do this type of work.  There is a brief description of the process with advantages and disadvantages in ACI 546R.  Here is just one web site with a picture of the operation:

http://www.water-jetting.com/hydrodemolition.shtml

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Barry H. Welliver" <barrywelliver2(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>

08/30/2002 12:30 PM
Please respond to seaint