RE: Flyash

Prof. Mehta from UC Berkeley has given many presentations on HVFA. In particular, he described a mat foundation recently built for a Temple in Kauai that is unreinforced and completely crack free. He claimed that one of the the benefits of HVFA is long term durability. I believe a large building in SF (GAP headquarters) also used HVFA.
-----Original Message-----
From: Peder Golberg [mailto:peder(--nospam--at)jgpierson.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 3:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Flyash

I have an architectural client who wants to use between 35% and 50% flyash to replace the cement content in a slab on grade (with a w/c ratio of 0.40).   The slab will be covered with flooring that is very moisture sensitive and this amount of flyash is being recommended to the architects by the "green" designers.    I have always thought 20% was the maximum recommended and any more than this makes the finish work and curing not practical along with strength issues.

Any have any good or bad experiences (or references) using this high amount of flyash content?

Peder Golberg
Portland, Oregon