Re: precast prestressed beams

I am not aware of any code provisions that provide for any restrictions of
what type of stresses (i.e. compression or tension) can be present on
either the bottom or top of a beam.  I am aware of limits of either
tension or compression for extreme fibers (either top or bottom).  In
otherwords, you can have tensile stresses for the top or bottom of the
beam either under service loads or just after jack release, but there will
be limits on that tensile stress by code provisions.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI