RE: STAAD or RISA?

Bill,

I'm not familiar with RISA.  I/our company made the committment to REI's STAAD back in version 11/12 and have stuck with it since then.  REI's product has come a long way since the above mentioned early versions.  I find their customer service/technical support to be good - you've got to keep your product under a maintenance agreement.  If you have specific issues you can talk with the actual developers.  All have engineering backgrounds.  Santanu Das and Kris Sathia are extremely knowledgeable, know the product inside/out, and are committed to STAAD's continuous improvement and enhancement.

IMHO, STAAD's forte is 3/3D structural frames.  It does offer thin/thick shell FEA with the STARDYNE analysis engine integrated.

I don't think you will have a problem with the latest GUI.  It's very user friendly.  You can also rely on the old file structure you are used to with the text editor.  That still works as well.

I am comfortable with using and am confident in the results STAAD Pro yields.  I can't offer anything regarding RISA because I haven't used it.

I hope this information helps you.

You can call/email me for more info if you'd like.

Regards,

John T. Whitty, P.E.
ITAC - Engineers and Constructors
Senior Project Manager
(804)414-1100 Main
(804)414-1132 Direct
(413)643-5912 Fax
(804)539-1234 Cell
(804)905-2781 Pager
mailto:jwhitty(--nospam--at)itac-net.com
www.itac-net.com <http://www.itac-net.com>